Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Our Happy Little Family of Four

We are just thrilled to have another baby in the house. David is such a pleasant child. He is 10 days old and very healthy. He eats and sleeps well and doesn't cry very much- all things that make for a happy mommy. Austin loves his little brother, and David seems amused by Austin's affections. I couldn't have asked for a better first week at home from the hospital. I am healing quickly from the c-cection and have experienced less discomfort this 2nd time around- granted the circumstances surrounding this birth are totally different than last time.

Speaking of the details, most of you probably don't know how David came to be born a few weeks earlier than my scheduled delivery date. I had an appointment on Jan. 15th with my doctor, and everything checked out fine. David was measuring at 6 and a half pounds by ultrasound, and I had no signs of preeclampsia. I had made it to full-term (37 weeks), so the doctor said if I went into labor, they would go ahead and do the c-cection early. I had been having lots of contractions throughout the pregnancy and had a spell of preterm labor at 33 weeks, so I was feeling like I might end up having David before the scheduled date. Joseph's parents decided to come up for the weekend (I suspect on the chance that I might have David early though they said they just came to visit us :) On Saturday, the 16th, I woke up feverish and achy just like I did when I ended up in the hospital at 33 weeks- however, I wasn't having regular contractions. After having a completely miserably sick day, I went to bed convinced that I was just going to have to wait another two weeks to meet our second child.... I was wrong- an hour later, I woke up with a high fever, violent shaking and contractions. We called the doctor and headed to the hospital. They admitted me and attempted to stop the contractions which were coming 2 minutes apart and getting harder. Sunday morning, January 17th, the doctor decided to go ahead and deliver our baby since the contractions weren't stopping. I couldn't have been more pleased. I mean, they had already started an IV and pumped me full of fluids. I would have been pretty disappointed if they had sent me home to wait another two long weeks.

David was born at 37 weeks gestation weighing a healthy 7 pounds 1 ounce (half a pound more than they predicted by ultrasound!) and measuring 19 inches long. I was absolutely thrilled to have a 7 pound baby!! God has truly blessed us, and we are very happy indeed.

No comments: