Saturday, May 8, 2010

We meet to part, but part to meet

When earthly labors are complete.
To join in yet more blest employ,
In an eternal world of joy.

This is the last verse from the Seminary Hymn titled, Soldiers of Christ, in Truth Arrayed. It was written for the first commencement of the Seminary in 1860. We sang it on Friday at the Boyce College graduation ceremony where I was presented with a Certificate in Ministry Studies upon completing the Seminary Wives Institute.

During my five years as a seminary wife, I have taken many SWI classes covering a variety of topics including discipleship, biblical parenting, hospitality and Baptist beliefs. Each class meets once a week for a six week term, and the material is taught by either seminary faculty or their wives. I have found this program to be an excellent way to introduce me to some of the things my husband is learning in his classes at the seminary. Not only have I heard lectures from Dr. Mohler, the president at Southern, I have also had the privilege of sitting under the teaching of his wife, Mrs. Mary Mohler. She is the director of the program, as well as its original founder 11 years ago.

Seminary Wives Institute is a great way for women to build relationships with other seminary wives, and it also provides us with many “older women” who can mentor us and teach us about growing in the faith, managing our household well and helping our husbands in their ministry.

The great thing is that SWI is very inexpensive ($10 per six week term), and they even provide affordable childcare if your husband has work or class ($1 per week, per child). There is generally a small amount of homework required for each course, and the books that we read for each class are normal books that you would find on the shelves at your local Christian bookstore.

I have met people of all ages and backgrounds in my SWI classes, from women straight out of college to women in their 50s and 60s whose husbands are entering ministry later in life. I have met ladies who are from foreign countries like Canada, India and Switzerland as well as those from my home state of Tennessee. There are working wives and stay at home moms, people with big personalities and quiet types (like me). While SWI students come from all walks of life, we all have the same thing in common that has brought us together- all of our husbands are preparing to serve in some area of Christian ministry. I’m grateful that I was able to participate in a program like SWI so that when we leave this place, I, too, will be prepared to serve with my husband as a Soldier of Christ, in Truth Arrayed.

No comments: